More progress on my knitting clock. I have finished designing and printing the bottom half of the "top" of the case that covers the knitting machine and provides a spool and tensioning guides for the yarn.

Here you can see it after I set up some white waste yarn and then switched to black yarn. I simulated a day or two's worth of knitting and then let it auto-progress a stitch every hour overnight.

Next I will design the "roof" for the clock.


@kyle Rotary calculators are my favorite calculators, the Monroe manual is quiet and small. The electric models (specifiically Friden) are loud, imposing, impressive, and put on quiet a show for the onlooker.

@apples_and_pears I tend to prefer the Monroe myself, although I also like the Facit approach too (both are barely visible on the right side of this picture).

I prefer Comptometers for basic addition and multiplication but will go for a Monroe or Facit any day when I need to divide.

@kyle It's been a long time, but I think the compometer used 9's compliment for subtraction and I think division. I preferred to use anything rather than the comptometer for subtraction/division. Of all the rotary calculators in that business machines class, the Monroe was my goto rotary calculator (small, clean, quiet, and easy to use/operate).

@apples_and_pears Yes, there is a small switch to disable carries that you hold with your thumb while pressing the complementary digits on the comptometer, for subtraction/division.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Librem Social

Librem Social is an opt-in public network. Messages are shared under Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0 license terms. Policy.

Stay safe. Please abide by our code of conduct.

(Source code)

image/svg+xml Librem Chat image/svg+xml