What are some things that every computer user should learn? What things do you wish every computer user knew? What are some of the biggest benefits that individuals and/or society could reap if computer users learned these things?
Please boost, I honestly want as many serious answers as possible. Feel free to answer variations of the question for different levels of "computer users", such as programmers, office workers who use a computer 4+ hours per day, phone-only users, etc.
- The text of the error message has to be communicated literally, as though it were a magic cipher, not metaphorically.
- It all runs on magic ciphers typed in plain text, and yes, you can understand them. It's magic, not incomprehensibility.
- Hitting keys at random is fine! Just write down what did what.
- Take Notes. On paper. (Every newbie I've met who did this, became proficient in every procedure they needed; even admins who don't, fail.)
- "Get me out of here!" is often handled by pressing esc. It means escape, and can be found on the top left.
- It's ok to type slowly!